Followers

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Avalon is Somewhat Better


Yesterday afternoon we took Avalon to the Vet to see if she could figure out what was wrong with her. The exam didn't reveal anything obvious so she needed to draw some blood to send off for testing.

I didn't know that the preferred place to draw blood from a sheep was from the neck! Ava has very thick wool and it was playing havoc with the needle placement and after several tries the Vet broke out the scissors and cut away a nice clear patch. The blood was finally drawn but Ava was not happy, I was afraid she may go into shock.

That night Ava wouldn't go anywhere near the barn and I had to catch her with the shepherds crook. Once again Kia had to be lured inside with grain, she is next to impossible to trick but so far bribes have worked.

Ava got a 3rd dose of LA200 and was running a temperature of 102.6F - normal! I put her to bed with high hopes. Today she looked much better but still not totally her self. At 1730 the Vet called with the blood work results and they were ..... inconclusive :( ..... Her liver and kidney enzymes were slightly elevated but nothing that was completely unexplainable. The only takeaway was that we should discontinue the antibiotics, so I decided to leave her hassle free once she entered the barn.  The break from treatments might do her nerves some good. Of course Kia wouldn't go into the barn at all, not even the bribes would work. She had to be captured with the shepherds crooks, we may have to break out the tranquilizer guns tomorrow!

If she is better tomorrow I will have to credit the LA200 and banamine for saving her while she was running a 106F fever. It is good to know that she doesn't have anything contagious or some owner induced malady.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and well wishes!

8 comments:

  1. So glad to hear she's doing better. I think you deserve a lot of credit along with the meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bless her heart....they just don't understand that we are trying to help them....I hate when one of my boys is off and I have to stress them more by trying to care for them......I hope she continues to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you posted an update; hope she gets better & better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "At 1730 the vet called..."
    1730??!!
    Hold on just a second. Whose writing this post anyway? Who uses military time on your sweet farm?!...
    Mr. Commander, is that YOU?!!! :-)

    Really relived to hear that Avalon seems to be on the road to recovery!! Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa - Reading other peoples blogs has really increased my knowledge, along with farm books.

    Niece - I agree, why can't they figure out that all I want to do is help? That Kia is too smart and wary for her own good.

    Carolyn - Ava could still go either way, I'm not sure how this will turn out yet.

    Danni - Nurses use military time too! How else would they know when to medicate? Ava is still not in the clear, this may take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avalon, I'm still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear that Avalon hasn't been feeling well. She is my favorite, such a pretty girl. I hope she continues to improve and is feeling 100% soon.

    ps...I got the chance to make a little felt sheep with horns this morning and made a blog post just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn - I think it worked!

    Shannon - I love it, save it for my Christmas order!

    ReplyDelete