Sunday, October 28, 2012

Crazy Day!

Today started out normally with the Commander and I having breakfast down by the wood stove.  It quickly went downhill from there.

The Commander went upstairs and noticed that our builder was working out in the goat barn.  He was adding additional support to the loft, very nice of him.  With him out there working in the cold guilt quickly set in so both the Commander and I went outside to do a few chores and to chat.  I had no idea how cold it was out there.

The next thing I knew an audio alarm started to go off - a fire alarm from the house?  I rushed in and realized that the sound was coming from the OUTSIDE.  What the heck?  I walked around the side of the house and saw the alarm light on the septic mound and found the source of the alarm.  I went inside and called our neighbor (who runs a septic company) and through some miracle he was home and said he would be right over.  On Sunday morning!  He arrived and stated that we were lucky to get him as he is flying to Florida first thing Monday morning.  After a bit of trouble shooting he found that the pump was bad.  As luck would have it he had one at home!  Thirty minutes later he returned and everything up and running - whew.

So the goat loft was now reinforced, the septic pump was replaced, what next?  My hay guy called and wanted to deliver 100 bales.  My hay guy is the greatest.  He not only delivered but he was able to drive the hay wagon first to the goat barn then over to the sheep barn.  This allowed us to cut down on wheel barrow time and load the goat, buck and sheep barns directly from the truck!  The Commander only had to haul 26 bales to the Ram barn - much easier.  I spend most of my day stacking hay in four different lofts, I'm exhausted.

Just as we were finishing up the Commander noticed Dominick walking around inside his barn with the oatmeal tube stuck on his head.  He somehow worked the cap off the tube and jammed his head inside to eat the grain stored there, ugh.  That meant he needed to get some probiotics to prevent bloat.

As I was finishing up that chore the Commander called me over to the Rams.  Both Killarney and Hoss had large bloody gashes over their eyes.  After a bit more doctoring I was done for the day, I'm dead tired.

The Commander put everyone away tonight and he said everyone had noticeable hay bellies, that happens here on hay delivery days.  I'm sure the barns will all be full a poo tomorrow morning.


  1. It seems that there is always some new challenge just around the corner on an acreage! Wouldn't have it any other way. If only the cash output would balance the cash input more often!

  2. are super lucky to have a neighbor that happened to have a pump at home with him! Septic issues are never fun :/
    Glad everyone is doctored up and where they belong....and the oatmeal boxes are off their heads....:)

  3. Hmmm, glad I don't have a pump on my septic system, that would just be one more thing to wrong for me. Thank goodness it was not a fire alarm. So glad you could get hay to where you need it, so much nicer that trying to do it by wheelbarrow, especially in the winter.

  4. Definitely a busy day! Glad all ended well.

  5. Ian - I figure breaking even is making a profit!

    Stace - I wish I could have gotten a picture of Dominic with the oatmeal tube on his head, it somehow fits what has been going on around here.

    Tombstone - We actually make ice paths in the Winter so moving the hay is possible. Winter here is longer than the loft hay supply can hold - unfortunately.

    Teresa - I slept like a log!