Followers

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Yesterday

Yesterday the flowers were blooming and the grass was turning green.


Today I woke to 2 inches of snow on the ground. What a disappointment.


Yesterday beautiful flowers....


This morning started sadly overcast with steady snow showers, I really needed a pick-me-up.


The arrival of two new lambs made me forget the snow outside! It appears that Jeepers delivered two lambs just before dawn because when I got out to examine them the baby ewe was still a bit wet.


The dark curly girl closest to the camera was 5.5 lbs and named Alma. The 6.5 lbs ram lamb I named Albion. I decided to name this years lambs after towns in Michigan.


Albion is so cute. I can't tell what the exact colors of the lambs are as it is dark in the barn and with the snow there is no sunshine. Albion looks to be a sandy blond and Alma is a dark chocolate.


Alma has a small white patch in the top of her head, she sat quietly in my lap while I took her temperature and gave her a good once over.


Both lambs had their umbilical cords dipped in iodine, were given a dose of vitamin paste, and had vaseline applied to the wool around their rear ends. This will prevent them from having their sticky new born poo clog them up. I got this tip from a lambing video posted over at Saltmarsh Ranch. This is a very informative video that I highly recommend.


Jeepers looks to be doing well and seems to be a good mother. I checked her nipples and they we unclogged and she had been giving the lambs milk. It may be a wet, snowy, dreary day outside but after holding the lambs I feel nice and warm inside!

18 comments:

  1. So wonderful! I am waiting for Minnie to lamb and can't wait! I saw the snow headed your way on the news and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at that wool! Wow!
    Congrats on two beautiful healthy little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about "Stealing" your title, but I got their first. The little guys are real cute!Snow in the middle of April is definitely not nice! i wonder what May will bring? Hopefully, not more of the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warm little fresh lambs are almost worth the snow! But hope you get warmer weather soon!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy - The lambs are so different from the goats. I am almost in shock that Jeepers isn't panicking when I come in her stall to check on her little ones.

    Farmer - They are so soft and their curls are so tight. They are so different from what I was expecting, maybe anything would be.

    Marchwind - Thank you.

    Ian - We had snow in May last year too. I stole your post title but I had no idea I would be adding in the lambs.

    Cat - Thank you, I can't wait to see them outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mother nature played a trick on you with the snow after teasing you with the flowers. But then she played nice with the lambs. They are so cute.

    Pamela Jo
    http://theresjustlifeyaliveit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just LOVE their little curls. How beautiful they are! Don't worry about the snow, it will leave and beautiful growing things will still be under it. (ask me how I know).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful babies! A great way to help cheer up an otherwise drab day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TJL - It can keep snowing this week if it gets the other ewe's to lamb too!

    Michaela - I saw the snow over at your place, unfortunately the forecast here for next week is calling for more snow. Everything here is ready to grow, we just need a little steady sunshine.

    Teresa - Spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Congrats on your little lambs - they are ADORABLE!

    Sorry about the snow - such a fickle spring everyone is having this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh for PETE'S sake... look at all those adorable curls! Congrats on more sweet babies, Boo-Daa Farm! More snow, eh?
    We've got sun in our forecast for the next 5 straight days, if you'd like to stop by.
    Just sayin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. GoWest - This has been a fickle Spring, no rain - just snow that melts! I so enjoy the little lambs, thank you.

    Danni - Be careful what you wish for, zI may hand deliver you two more wethers. They are cute, just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! I'm sorry about the snow :( We got it too yesterday. I'm hoping spring returns quickly. I thought WARM April showers brought May flowers, not snow/hail/cold!

    Congrats on the lambies, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They sure are adorable!! I'm glad to hear that everything went well!! You keeping both of the lambs?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen - I am keeping the ewe for certain, I haven't decided on the ram yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the babies! They are so cute :) Love the curly fleeces. Sorry you have to walk through the snow to go see them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shannon, Thank you! I can't wait to get them outside in the sunshine. Where is Spring?

    ReplyDelete