Followers

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Potato Plants


I don't have a very big garden so I have to be selective in what I plant.  Over the Winter I began infusing the garden with goat berries and soiled hay, this led to the soil having a much darker and richer color this Spring.

I think one of the beneficiaries of the richer soil has been the potato's, they are huge (at least in my experience).  The top plants have grown well higher than my knee caps and are still going strong.  Click on the picture and compare their size to Gidget behind the fence on the right.  I'm thinking the hay in the soil is perfect for potato plants.



I also added a Topsy-Turvy tomato plant grower (top left) to see how it works out.  I have a control group of tomato plants growing normally in the garden to see if growing upside down makes a difference.



The squash and zucchini look to be doing OK and I have already eaten some strawberries, I am very curious to see how the egg plant and cauliflower turn out.  

4 comments:

  1. At least you still have a chance at a garden.... ours burned up... you have great potato plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - Sorry for your garden loss. I'm hoping the potato's underground are as big as the parts above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have been able to do much with potatoes. I hope that you have a bumper crop!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat - Potato's are one of the few things I can grow!

    ReplyDelete